All positions will work from the Maryland Coalition of Families for Children’s Mental Health Central Office in Columbia with the ability to attend weekly meetings at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore. Applicants must be able to work some evening hours.
Qualifications for Family Connectors:
- Be a parent who has experienced accessing special education and mental health services for their child with mental health or behavioral needs in Maryland
- Have reliable transportation and be able to travel to Columbia and Baltimore
- Have demonstrated success coping, and be knowledgable about the service system.
- Be able to establish rapport on the telephone, be supportive to other parents, and honor confidentiality
- Attend required training and supervison meetings
- Be able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written English language
- Be available to work some evenings each week
- Be able to use a computer with Microsoft word.
Applicants may apply for more than one position but must clearly identify which position(s) they are applying for in the first paragraph of their letter of application. Applicants must respond fully to all questions for consideration.
- Identify which position you are applying for. You may apply for more than one position, but must indicate this clearly in your letter.
- Describe your educational background and any training you have related to working with children and families, special education, mental health, advocacy or other related training
- Describe work or volunteer experience in advocating for a child with mental health needs
- Describe your strengths and how you would use them to help other families
- Provide an example of how you have successfully worked with special education and mental health providers
- Describe your writing and computer abilities
- Applicants will be contacted for interviews during the first or second week in May.
- Interviews will be held second and third week of May.
- All applicants who are offered positions will be required to attend a 2-4 day training prior to starting work.
- All applicants must have background check and DSS Child Abuse clearance done within the first two weeks of hire.
- The Family Connector for School Transition Program and E-Health Youth Leader positions will begin in May. The Family Connectors for The Family VOICE Study will begin in July.